Compresses Watermelon Salad
With the summer coming to a close it’s only appropriate for us to share a delectable summer recipe with you all. Our compressed watermelon salad here at La Tour is perfect for entertaining and wowing guests with a creative dish that can be enjoyed on nearly any pallet. So let your tastebuds gallivant around as you and yours enjoy a summer dish that will have you craving for it well through the winter!
Watermelon and burrata cheese salad – apples, pickled red onion, rosemary croutons, Vietnamese herbs, aged balsamic, evoo
INGREDIENTS & QUANTITY
PICKLED RED ONIONS:
Julienne red onion – 2 lbs
Water – 3 cup
Red wine vinegar – 2 cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Watermelon (seedless) – 1 each
Burrata cheese – 8 ounces (2 ounce ball per person)
Granny smith apples – 2 each
Pickled red onion – 5 oz
Vietnamese herbs (basil, mint, cilantro) – 1 oz
Rosemary croutons – 4 oz
Aged balsamic vinegar – 4 tbsp
Extra virgin olive oil (evoo) – 4 tbsp
Hawaiian black sea salt To Taste
PROCEDURE FOR PICKLED RED ONION:
1. Julienne red onions.
2. Combine water, red wine vinegar, and sugar in small sauce pot, bring to a simmer
3. Pour liquid over red onions and reserve
PROCEDURE FOR SALAD:
1. Peel watermelon and slice disks 1 inch thick.
2. Dice watermelon into 1 inch cubes or cut using a round 1 inch ring mold
3. Cut burrata cheese into 1 inch cubes.
4. Wash apples and cut into match stick size pieces with skin on
5. Tear basil, mint and cilantro into small pieces and mix well
6. Begin plating watermelon pieces with burrata cheese on top of watermelon
7. Garnish watermelon with match stick apples, pickled red onion, Vietnamese herbs, and rosemary croutons.
8. Drizzle plate with aged balsamic and evoo
9. Season top of burrata cheese with Hawaiian black salt so it looks like watermelon seeds.
10. Serve and enjoy
This dish was created by our very own Chef Troy Froman. If you wondering who to thank for this delicacy, all fingers point to this talented young Chef. If you want to keep this recipe on hand feel free to download it here. La Tour Compressed Watermelon Salad
Experience La Tour
If you find yourself lacking the tools to recreate this dish we welcome you to come try it out in person. Dinning with us here at La Tour isn’t just about eating, it’s about letting yourself experience delicacies and educating your pallet. If you’ve been enticed by this dish, just wait and see what we have waiting for you behind our doors. If you’d like to peak at what we have before hand feel free to take a look at our menu. We look forward to serving you!